Is A Domain Extension Going to Impact the Success of My Business?
Domain Names Explained
Every computer that is connected to the Internet has an identifier. This identifier is often a series of unique numbers, also known as an Internet Protocol (IP) address. Your IP address works in a similar manner to a mailing address. If you were to have a package delivered, you’d need to provide a physical address. That’s how IP addresses work too. It is your computer’s physical address.
However, this string of unique IP numbers can prove to be too long and complicated to remember. Thus, Domain Name System (DNS) was introduced in 1983. This makes it much easier to connect a specific computer to a specific content. Your website’s name is your domain name. It’s how people quickly and easily find your business online. For example, amazon.com, yahoo.com, google.com.
How Is That Different from A Domain Extension?
The name of your business is its foundation. A domain name is the foundation of your business in the online space. Now, a domain extension, on the hand, is what’s at the end of your website. For example, 3E Accounting is the name of the website, but 3E Accounting.com.sg is the extension.
The extension is often indicative of where your company or business is located. Identical domains cannot exist, but it is possible to have two different versions of the same domain if you use a different extension. For example, amazon.com and amazon.com.au. Same domain name, but two different extensions based on
Some businesses prefer to buy existing extensions for their business if they are available. This is to prevent others from using their business name while having a different extension at the end. You won’t necessarily gain more traffic by buying other extensions, though. However, related extensions could be redirected to your website for branding purposes.
Which Domain Extension Is Best for Your Business?
New businesses often struggle with choosing a top-level domain (TLD) name. Since your extension is going to impact the traffic to your website, it’s a big decision. Before you choose one for your business, there are considerations to factor in:
- The Price Difference: There’s a pretty big difference in the cost of annual registration fees between a .COM TLD and a .SG TLD. For the .COM.SG or the .SG extensions, the fees range between $50-$80 annually. A non-Singapore specific extension like a .COM or a .NET is much cheaper. The range is between $7-$15 annually.
- Your Clients: If your target clients reside in Singapore, you might be better off getting a .COM.SG or a .SG domain extension. It helps your website rank better.
- International Considerations: If your company incorporation in Singapore is an branch of your international company, a .COM.SG or a .SG extension is a good idea. This has two benefits associated with it. One, you strengthen your presence in Singapore. Two, you open a platform for localised content.
However, do bear in mind that there is no one size fits all solution that determines the success of your SEO. There are some local regulations that must be considered when using a .COM.SG or a .SG extension. It also should be noted that many top websites appear on the first page of search results without a .SG extension. Like Amazon, for example. Then, there is local company Capital Match who operates on a .COM domain. Yet, despite it, it manages to outperform bigger local banks for its competitive financing products.
The .COM.SG and .SG Advantages
In Singapore, the .COM.SG and .SG have significant advantages over other types of domain extension. Among the advantages are:
- Better search engine optimisation
- Gives your business a stronger local identity and thus, more business
- Better for branding purposes because people know your business is based in Singapore
- It enhances the trust and credibility aspect of your business
- Shorter domain extension makes it easier for people to remember the name
If you need to know more about domain names, or you are looking for a web design company, just let us know. Give us a call or send us an email. Our customer service representatives would be glad to assist you in the best way possible.